About the campaign
Our two aims
- To completely halt the development plans for the area of Danes Moss referred to as the “South Macclesfield Development Area” without compromise. No development on peatland is acceptable.
- To have the site re-wet and restored to active lowland raised bog and to preserve the existing wet woodland habitat.
How we started
In December 2021 a few friends decided to monitor planning applications. We were concerned by the relentless expansion of urban development that we saw in Cheshire and read about in other parts of the country.
It didn’t take long before the reserved matters applications related to the SMDA were noticed.
We were incredulous that a Council with an ambition to be ‘carbon neutral’ by 2025 could possibly be the lead developer of this project.
After looking into the details of the proposals several things became clear. Namely,
- The proposed development area was an absolute treasure for people, the planet and wildlife;
- That it should be preserved undeveloped and restored to its natural state as a lowland raised bog with wet woodland;
- That the entire development project felt like it was being imposed on our town by people with no genuine interest in our wellbeing or that of the natural world;
- That off-shore and tax haven-based finance was involved;
- That individuals with deep and questionable links to institutional power had a financial interest in the development;
- That the proposals completely contradicted the environmental ambitions of the lead developer – Cheshire East Council.
- That an organised campaign group was necessary to achieve our aims.
How to help
- spread the word however you can
- sign our petition
- attend our protests (usually advertised on Facebook)
- write to the Housing Minister, Michael Gove and ask him to have the outline permission ‘called in’ so that planning permission will be reviewed and overturned
The Rt. Hon. Michael Gove MP,
Department for Levelling Up, Housing & Communities
2 Marsham Street
- Write to the Leader of Cheshire East Council, Sam Corcoran and ask him to cancel the entire project.
Cllr Sam Corcoran,
c/o Nikki Bishop, PA to the Leader
- contact us with your ideas at
(we read all emails but because of time constraints we cannot guarantee a reply to every single email)